Warning! The following pages potentially contain images of animal abuse and neglect.
Viewer discretion is advised.
Facts and Numbers
- One elephant is slaughtered every 15 minutes
- Africa has lost 90% of its elephant population in the last 50 years
- Fewer than 400,000 elephants remain in the wild
- The largest market for illegal ivory is China, where it is considered a status symbol
- Profits from the sale of poached ivory are used to fund terrorist groups
- One rhino is brutally murdered every 8 hours
- Rhino poaching has escalated 9,000% in the last 9 years in South Africa alone
- Fewer than 25,000 rhinos remain in the wild
- The largest markets for illegal rhino horn are China and Vietnam, where it is mistakenly thought to have medicinal value
- 93% of wild lion populations have been killed or died in the last 50 years
- The African lion is in critical danger, with some researchers predicting extinction by 2020
- Once a population of 100,000 lions worldwide, the current number is less than 21,000
- Habitat loss and conflict with humans, such as trophy hunting and "canned hunts," are to blame for current numbers