We are not accepting new volunteers at this time, but please check back when our program reopens. Stay tuned!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Emerald City Pet Rescue! At ECPR, volunteers are critical to the success of our mission statement, "LOVE CAN SAVE LIVES!" We could not save hundreds of lives yearly without our volunteer support through hard work, dedication, and passion.
ECPR holds our staff to high standards, and we expect the same from our volunteers. At ECPR, we are looking for volunteers who:
• Are willing to make a three-month commitment of at least 2, one-hour shifts per month. It’s important to us that our staff and animals develop and maintain a consistent environment. Inability to do so may result in rescinding of your volunteer opportunity.
• Are versatile and willing to work with all animals and cleaning tasks required at our rescue. ECPR will do its best to place you with animals and tasks you prefer, but it’s always possible we will have greater need elsewhere. ECPR will never ask you to perform tasks that put you at unnecessary risk.
• Please understand that staff is at work. Please be willing to work autonomously following appropriate training.
• Be 18 years of age or older, or at least 16 if volunteering alongside a parent or guardian.
In return, ECPR will offer volunteers:
• Opportunities to provide rescue animals with care, attention, and training in order to find them loving, forever homes.
• Training to understand ECPR operations and operate autonomously.
• Opportunities for dialogue with kennel staff to better understand rescue operations and animal care.
For the safety of the animals, staff, and volunteers, all volunteers must attend an orientation and be trained in ECPR procedures. At orientation, you will receive basic information on animal behavior and tour our facility. It also allows time to learn about our mission, policies, procedures, and programs. You'll have the opportunity to ask questions and gain a thorough understanding of the many ways you can truly make a difference for the animals in our care.
Our volunteer support takes on a variety of forms. Below is a list of our volunteer areas:
• Cat Care: Volunteers will help at our Kitty Harbor location with feeding, socializing, cuddling, and maintaining a clean, healthy, and safe environment for our cats.
• Cleaning: Assisting our staff with morning, mid-day, and evening disinfecting procedures.
• Dog Socialization & Training: Spending time directly with our dogs and helping them form healthy bonds via positive reinforcement training.
• Outreach: Distributing brochures to your community (pet shops, coffee shops, groomers, vets, etc.). Must be done with approval.
• Maintenance: Laundry, cleaning parking lot, and cleaning dog walking paths.
• Walks: Assist our staff with walks to improve socialization, confidence, and physical fitness.
ECPR LOCATIONS--what animals would you like to work with?
"Kitty Harbor" location (West Seattle): houses only adoptable cats and critters
"IDAHO" location (South Seattle): houses new arrivals, small dogs, big dogs, cats, small animals, adoptable animals, and animals not quite ready for adoption.
In addition, we are always open to other ways you can help! If you have an idea or talent that can aid in our mission, we welcome your input!
Upon completion of your volunteer application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Your help is greatly appreciated.